Friday, September 15, 2006

Crunch Time

September 15th

Friday.... The Busker festival is only two days away. This is the crunch. I am waiting minute by minute for a call from the radio station that we might get to go on air and do a little promo. After all this is the only city with an official Buskers' Week and also the only city with a festival run by the buskers themselves. We'll all meet down there at 7 am on Sunday and start to put things together. Two sound stages and one acoustic. 39 acts. There's a 350 pound planter that needs to be moved for the acoustic stage - I'm sitting that one out as I almost threw my back out on it last year. Sound systems need to be set up for the other two stages - north and south.. Canopies, merchandise tables, benches for the audience. Each stage has two emcees. I'll tade off on the north stage with Jim Hinde, Lance Tigner and Niceol Blue are doing the acoustic Post Alley Stage, and Emery Carl and one other (don't know who) are doing the south stage. This is the fifth annual so I expect a good turnout. It's free and everyone seems to enjoy it.

The weather around here is starting to turn, with gray clouds coming in and hanging around all day, and a good watery breeze chilling the early morning. The ocean is just a stone's throw away and that's part of the beauty of this place. That great big salt water sound that comes down through all the islands and lazily washes up to the piers. The mountains off to the west with the ocean behind them. It's getting dark earlier every day it seems and pretty soon it'll be wood burning time and dark at 5 o'clock. It'll stay that way for ages and then sometime next year it'll break, and a brand new flower will emerge from the wood pile. And it will be spring again.

So I have to be ready for the radio today, it may and may not happen. Everything else that can be done has been done. PSAs, posters, mailing lists. Crossing our fingers and rolling with it. Hope it doesn't rain.

My set it on the north stage at 3. Joe Martin is going to come down with his sons John and Brendan. I give them guitar lessons every week or so. Joe's an old friend, a social worker and founder of the Pike Market Clinic. He's Boston Irish, plays the harmonica and knows a million rebel songs. I asked him to bring his harps. If he's coming down anyway maybe he'd want to jump up on stage with me and play a few tunes. He has agreed.

I don't have a deity but if I did I'd pray for good weather.

2 Comments:

Blogger whirld dervish said...

Great Stuff Jim...

I hope the weather holds too...

allow an old friend to waft a few prayers in your direction!

Wish I could be there, but I can't!

10:16 PM  
Blogger whirld dervish said...

P.S. You are the best guitar teacher!

11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home