Saturday, August 26, 2006

August 26

I am not responsible

it was somewhere back in the depths of things
that someone said to someone else
“you can do that for me,
I’ll put you in charge”

and a secret was born
like a small invisible signal,
an engine of hidden
agendas

“I’ll put you in charge”
- and all that it leads to -
“I’m only doing my job”
“that’s not my department”

the Nuremberg Hiding Place

hot metal blisters will rain on Bagdad
and nobody will say
“it was my fault”

everyone will say
“they made me do it”

dead smoldering bodies
that somebody else killed

how do you bring somebody else to justice?
when you put them on trial how do you question them?
do you ask them if somebody else was there
on the night of the murder?
the defense will say it wasn’t my client it was somebody else
and the jury will find the defendant innocent
by reason of somebody else

like slippery shimmers,
the mirror mirage,
reality runs through
your fingers

and all you’ve got left
is somebody else

nobody did anything

relax
close your eyes
you’re getting sleepy

repeat after me,
“I am not responsible”

“I am not responsible”

1 Comments:

Blogger whirld dervish said...

"...all these songs,
they taste like Arabian wine...
I must...
Try them all...
Some time..."

Jim, I will never forget the young teenager with tousled hair in a khaki workshirt and baggy pants, (not cool when psychedelic posters adorned the walls and Eric Clapton and Cream were coming to town), who stepped up to the open mike at the Tangent (was it 1968-69?), and played what is probably one of the most memorable songs I have ever heard, "Fireside".

The confidence of the presentation, the way in which he professionally uplifted the guitar to the mike so that the fingerpicked solos would be crisply heard, and the fact that he had written this song himself, blew me away and made me an instant admirer.

Yes, to quote many others, instantly I was reminded of Woody Guthrie, but with a heady shot of "Arabian Wine"!

You are one of my all time favorite musician songwriters and heroes.

And if there are any doubters out there, check into one of Jim's next local gigs.

6:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home