Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Elections Comin Up

I really want to love my country and I keep thinking that I might be able to some day. If we can just get past this dark ages period that we seem to be stuck in. I mean, here we are, one the world’s most advanced industrialized nations and most of the people actually believe that the planet earth is only 6 thousand years old. People actually believe that some sort of enormous invisible male entity runs everything. I don’t take drugs but I’m beginning to think I should.

Me, I’m one of those annoying non believers. I question things and don’t trust answers that don’t make sense to my own thinking. I’m no fun at prayer meetings. My parents each had a parent of their own, or close relative who was a religious fanatic and they were so turned off by the idea of a meddling deity that they raised their kids – me and my brother – as agnostics. Which was a polite way of saying atheists. And I am forever grateful. I don’t have years of inbred guilt to unravel, or implanted fears about things that go bump I the night. But I am in the minority.

Take the elections for example. It should be a no brainer to vote for Obama, it’s the only thing that makes sense. A victory in that direction might allow me to love my country, and that would be a good thing. But on the other side of the room is an old guy with a big PTSD chip on his shoulder. And that’s bad enough – but his running mate, the would-be future VP Sarah Palin – now there’s a piece of work. Sarah Palin not only believes that the earth is only 6 thousand years old, and that all this trouble started from an encounter with two naked people and a talking snake, but she also believes that god wants America to occupy Iraq and invade anybody else who gets in the way of divine design. Forget about the body counts, this is God’s Will. Damn, Sarah, that’s some deep thinkin’, gosh darn it. If things were right she would never have passed the mental competency test to be allowed to speak before a television audience, let alone run for office. But if course things aren’t right, are they? And by the way, ever notice how so many of these thimble wits don’t seem to ever be able to pronounce the victim country’s name correctly? In my day it was “Veet-Naam” – now it’s “Eye-Rack” and “Eye-Ran.” Ever notice how those same people never say “Eyes-Real?” Funny, isn’t it?

Anyway, we seem to be at this real cartoon crossroads. Reality versus the Stuper Bowl. On the one hand we could have the first Black president in history, a person who inspires positive thinking – or on the other hand we could get some old iron man and just build a whole bunch of camps and seal off the borders and blow everything up. Seems simple to me. (And don’t even mention Ralph Nader. If I hear about him one more time pretending to be the only real truth teller I’m going for my air sick bag. This is way too serious to push your own ego. Whatever real grass roots struggles everybody’s been involved in will still be there and old Ralphie ain’t gonna get elected anyway and everybody knows it so stop bullshitting around and wasting votes) I think the choice is clear. But what do I know…

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home