Thursday, November 01, 2007

Toogood in Seattle

It’s starting to get cold around here, in good old Seattle. The rain’s been holding off, which the meteorological conspiricists will say must lead to a long and dangerous winter. Maybe so, who am I to say? I know some people who want to reintroduce the Woolly Mammoth to North America. They say that will help sort things out. They’re probably right.

There are a few names that need to be mentioned after that last tour in Ireland. Most notably, of course, is Niceol Blue - http://www.myspace.com/niceolblue She was a Seattle busker for several years and two time chair of our Pike Market Performers’ Guild. Niceol now lives in Ireland with her girlfriend Orla McGovern. I always think that people with last names like McGovern should go into high level politics, but Orla is an actor. (I say “actor” and not “actress” because the first word has no gender assigned to it while the second one can only be female) Music and acting, a good combination I say. They moved over sometime in late August. Now they are looking to buy a house – hopefully in or near Galway. The four of us – me, Katy, Orla, and Niceol – tripped around a bit and did a few gigs. Niceol is really good, so watch for her. And Orla knows my old buddy Jack Lynch, another actor. Small world.

Another name is Jimmy Cullen, a fine singer and song writer form Gory. Jimmy booked me into the wine bar in his town and then traveled to play at a couple of other gigs as well. He’s got a great song called “The Realistic Love Song” in which he sings that he won’t climb high mountains or swim the ocean for his love but he will promise to lift the toilet seat. Check him out: http://www.myspace.com/jimicullen

And there was another Jimmy at the Stables in Mullingar. Jimmy Broder. He was great! But he has no web site at all so you’ll have to go there to see him. It’s worth it.

All in all the gigs were good and the weather certainly held out for them. I think it only rained once. But I was pretty fried by the time it was over – all that driving and paying attention. I don’t have to pay attention when I play – that’s the easy part. It’s the getting there and keeping everything straight. The flight back home was interesting – we got bumped in Philly in exchange for a night’s lodging, free meals and a round trip anywhere the airline flies. Good deal if you ask me.

By the way, I just discovered that one of my favorite local writers has a blog where he archives all his stuff. This is good news. His name is Wes Browning and usually I have to read him in Real Change, where he has a regular column. And if I miss an issue I’m screwed. But now I can read everything. Check him out: http://www.drwesb.blogspot.com/

So that’s all for now – I have to get back to playing the Toogood guitar. I think I’m possessed…

2 Comments:

Blogger whirld dervish said...

Thanks for the latest Jim and good to know you're back and safe in Seattle..

thanks also for your latest comment and invite...

My guitar is not nearly as inviting to me these days as your new Toogood....

Your Toogood Guitar sounds almost...tgtbt

baba

11:32 PM  
Blogger Toogood Guitars said...

Hey Jim, possessed. Maybe you should exorcize your fingers more!

Good luck with the guitar.

Toogie!

2:15 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home